25 August 2006

Shiny Objects

The very first conversational exchange I remember clearly having with Meg happened in the spring of our freshman year. Two of my friends from high school, Caitlin and Mal, were visiting, and I had to drag them to a Collegium rehearsal in Sanders during which we spent minute after excruciating minute achieving the perfect concert standing positions. I had borrowed a pair of flip flops from Mal, white sandals with shimmering bands of silver spangles that threaded through my toes and across the top of my feet. I only recall this because Meg, a self-admitted magpie, glanced over at them and said, "I like your sandals."

I replied with a clever, "Thanks," and we haven't really stopped talking since. It's a good thing Meg likes shiny objects, since they paved the way for our friendship.

Happy golden birthday, Margaret Alice, and bestest wishes for a highly sparkly twenty-fifth year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home